experiments 2017

Home Up experiments 2017 beacon DL0SHF Beacon info DL0SHF low cost solution

Stop Russian war against Ukraine


New experiments in 2017 with my 50 cm dish and DL0SHF

In may 2017 I was visiting CAMRAS and I took my DL0SHF 10 GHz setup with me for demonstration

My very small dish in front of the 25 Mtr dish from CAMRAS

Next to my visit at CAMRAS I setup my system and tried to receive DL0SHF beacon,
I found the beacon but due to the weather the demo was not very convincing.
Temperature outside was almost 30 degrees and I was standing full in the sunshine
 so looking on my SDR screen on my laptop was almost impossible.
After a few hours I decided to put the system down again because my laptop was almost boiling.
Strange that it even survived.


I still wanted to do some measurements on DL0SHF so I decided to set it up the next day at my home QTH for some tests.

Outside temperature was still hot, but I had enough opportunities to put parts of my system into the shade.

I started with adjusting my antenna using the sun and solar noise, then I turned the dish to the moon and looked for DL0SHF.

It always takes some time to find the DL0SHF signal when its transmitting normal (low) power (50 Watt)

After a while I found the beacon and signal seemed a bit low with very much QSB.

Later that day signal improved a bit to max 7 dB above noise in 12 Hz RBW


The CW beacon 5 dB above noise in 12 Hz RBW, audio signal was just audible but too weak to copy

Since my last experiments the digital mode from DL0SHF changed from JT4 to QRB-D so I had to install the new WSJT-X software and first learn to use it before I could try and decode the Dl0SHF signals.

I recorded the received signals and tried to decode the signals the next day, after some fine tuning on time and RX frequency I succeeded in the decode.

I made a test with Charlie G3WDG to see if I would be able to copy his CW signal.

His CW signal was audible and sometimes I could copy his signal.

He did send me some unknown information which he later said it was A TMO report. I was almost convinced I copied a M several times so I told him I copied an M but that it was very weak and difficult. He then confirmed that it was correct.

The QRA-D signals from Charlie also decoded after the recording and that worked also very well.

A test with WA3LBI failed probably because he was using CP as polarisation causing 3 dB extra losses,
pity otherwise it should have been possible to detect his signal

Lessons learned:

It is possible to copy the CW signal from G3WDG (100 W in a 3 Mtr dish)

I need to lock my down converter LO signal because drift was too much to receive
the QRA-D signals without further frequency correction during transmission.