TK/DL1YMK was active from Corsica. For me it was reason to be active and try
to work Michael.
Michael copied my signal well but I ad lots problems in finding him, We
succeeded the QSO being the first ever TK/PA on 3 cm.
There was good activity and I made 6 QSO's and 4 initial contacts.
Activity on 12 march 2011: After many years I decided it was time to be QRV on 10 GHz again. My station
worked without problems with a solid echo and about 90 W in the feed.
I made the first QSO with VK3NX being the first ever between VK and PA on 10 GHz
and my first on the 10 GHz band.
I missed several stations calling me because they were too weak or I just was
not able to decode the CW because I don't know CW, I am sorry for that.
During the ARRL microwave EME contest I was QRV with assistance from PA5DD. We had
a limited window because off the high moon declination. We where qrv from 04.50 until
05.30 UTC when moon elevation became too low. We made a total off 7 QSO's but we heard
several other stations. We made one new initial OK1CA and we heard LX1DB who could have
been a new initial as well. We also heard VE4MA and a very weak W7 station who was calling
us. His signal was just a bit too weak to copy the full callsign.
During the ARRL contest I had assistance from PA5DD to
compensate for my lack of CW, and a visit from PE1JBK.
PA5DD made the CW QSO's and we did some tests with the DSP-59+ from Timewave. This
helped a lot to copy the very weak signals. We managed to make 7 QSO's but we heard some
more stations. Copied where OK1KIR and DK7LJ in SSB. We called DK7LJ but got no reply.
We heard several other very weak signals but where not able
to get their callsign's.
On 13 oktober I had a sked with W5LUA and with AA5C. I
completed the QSO with W5LUA with "O" reports. I failed the QSO with AA5C
because I did not hear him.
After the sked with AA5C I called CQ and was called by several stations. I was not able to
copy because two where in exact same frequency. Later I was called by a strong signal. I
replied in SSB and I made my first random and first SSB QSO with WA7CJO. Reports exchanged
where 54 both sides.
Some time later another strong signal calling me. Again I replied in SSB and I made my
second random SSB QSO with SM4DHN. Reports where 54 on both sides.
My first EME contact with W6HD On 15 september 2001 I made my first 10 GHz EME
QSO with W6DH at 14.00 UTC.
We made a very quick QSO and all was ready within 15 minutes giving an M report to
W6HD and receiving RST 549.
Tay, W6HD wrote me this comment after our QSO:
You have an outstanding signal! Very stable, and LOUD! Your
echoes looked like a 200 watt station to me. You were only 2
kHz high in frequency and no problem to find.
I think, perhaps you receiving side is a little weak; for most 3 meter
stations will hear me 55 or louder. To give you a calibration my moon
noise (3 meter reflector) is 1.6 dB and the sun has lately been about
15.5dB. The moon noise should be quite stable from day to day while
that of the sun will vary from 13 to 16 dB.
Thanks for a fine QSO in spite of the WX.
The TWT with power meter on top. On top
of the power meter the IC402 driving the upconverter to 10 GHz on the left of the TWT.
Right of the TWT is the laptop computer used for giving CW
The QSO was done with the station still in experimental setup. The TWT still must
be installed at the dish and was now connected using 6 meter waveguide. The antenna still
must be steered manual and it take a lot of effort to get al things together. Most difficult is my lack of CW which gave me
problems copying another station who was responding to my echo test's. Sorry but we will
sure make a QSO in the near future. On 16 september I heard WA7CJO calling CQ with a very
strong signal but due to the weather I could not transmit.
After working on the elevation and azimuth antenna readout I
tested the receive side using the sun and moon. By tracking the sun I found out that the
azimuth readout was not OK when more then 90 degrees where tracked. Then I started
calibrating the readout by turning it over 360 degrees. The readout showed 360 degrees but
in fact the antenna moved about 20 degrees more. Then I put a reference line on the
gearbox and rotated until the reference line was again in position. The counter
could then be calibrated and I tried again to track the sun.
Now the readout was working very well and over more than 180
degrees I find a difference of about 0.1 degrees.
After this I measured the sun noise and the moon noise which
12.5 dB from the sun and 0.9 dB from the moon. These values
seemed OK so it was time to do the first echo test's.
On 14-8-2001 around 09.30 UTC. I tried my first echo test
which instantly succeeded. After that I tried some more tests.
Now I must work on finalizing the station and getting the
full TWT output. During the test my drive power was to little which gave me only about 50
Watt output from the TWT.
Also I have to find a way to automatic tracking because tracking it by hand is not
very pleasant. The readouts are well within 0.2 degrees accurate so the computer tracker
must be no problem to realize.
Most difficult problem is the mounting of the TWT close to
the dish. This will probably be the most time consuming problem.
Anyhow at this moment I can receive good echo's and when
weather permits I can be QRV for EME QSO's.